Monday, March 12, 2012

How Had I Not Seen This Movie!? Part 5: The Thin Man

The Thin Man

The Thin Man follows retired detective Nick Charles (William Powell) and his amusing wife Nora (Myrna Loy) as they stumble through a loosely threaded plot about a missing man. This is really all you need to know about the main plot of The Thin Man because it's simply a driving force to help the witty banter between Nick and Nora occur. In fact, as I write this, I can barely remember the logistics of the case that Nick eventually takes. All that matters is that I got to spend about 90 minutes with a boozy, bickering couple from the 1930s. For a movie that is bordering 80 years in age, I found it remarkable just how witty the movie is. The Thin Man is filled with double entendres, slapstick, and dry one-liners that are just as funny (if not more so) than most modern mainstream comedies. While I didn't find the movie as charming as later comedies of that decade (such as Trouble in Paradise, Bringing Up Baby, and Powell's My Man Godfrey) I certainly found it entertaining and something I'd recommend to fans looking for a different style of comedy that simple isn't made anymore. How had I not seen this yet?

Valuable Life Lesson Learned: If you have four children, one of them will be a murderer.

You're Welcome,
Dave

Upcoming Titles:
- Dog Day Afternoon
- The Untouchables
- Battle Royale
The Magnificent Ambersons

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see this. I'm also really looking forward to your Dog Day Afternoon review, as well as the opportunity to compare notes when you get around to The Magnificent Ambersons.

    ReplyDelete