Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Xmas Xtravaganza of Xmusic: Day 3 (by Dave Machado)


It's officially the Holiday season so I thought I would start a new series to help guide us safely to Xmas Day (where we celebrate the birth of Jason X). Each day, I will showcase one song that I enjoy as a way to expand upon the list of Holiday music you listen to each year. I'll also give you a few fun facts about each song to help you appreciate the significance of it.

Day 3: Santa Claus is Coming to Town (by The Pointer Sisters)

"He sees you when you're sleeping./He knows when you're awake."

I have loved this song since it appeared on A Very Special Christmas in 1987. This cassette would get played the most during Christmas season at my house, and I'm pretty sure I learned all the words to every song. But no song on that tape held a special place in my heart like The Pointer Sisters' version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. It's a wonderful bit of 80s cheese and provides a fun nostalgia trip every time I listen to it (which during Christmas season, is a LOT!). The song is fun enough to make you forget about the weird stalkerish tones regarding how much Santa is watching you all the time. He's behind you now!

Fun Facts:
  • The line near the beginning "I want a BICYCLE" is the greatest line in the history of Christmas songs.
  • Since it was the 1980s, the snow used in the music video for this song was pure cocaine.
  • Santa no longer visits June Pointer. She died in 2006.

You're Welcome,
Dave

Previous Days:

No comments:

Post a Comment